[Mailman-Users] Non-members allowed to post!

David Gibbs david at midrange.com
Wed Mar 9 03:45:46 CET 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>The only place that rpg400 at m.gmane.org shows up is in the
>>'X-MailScanner-From:' header.
>>It appears that Mailman is picking up the 'From:' information from the
>>wrong header.
> How about the envelope sender? You can't tell from those headers what
> that was, but I'm guessing that it too is rpg400 at m.gmane.org

Sorry if this is a dumb question ... but what header indicates the
"envelope sender"?

As far as I could tell from the headers I saw, the *ONLY* place that
rpg400 at m.gmane.org showed up was in the X-MailScanner-From header.

> I'd say it's probably Gmane doing this. I guess the first question is
> "is rpg400 at m.gmane.org a list member and if so, why?"

Yes, rpg400 at m.gmane.org is a list member ... because that's how gmane
receives list messages to process them into it's news server.

> You might also check for USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER settings in mm_cfg.py. The
> default in Defaults.py should be "USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER = No". Also in
> Defaults.py, you should have "SENDER_HEADERS = ('from', None,
> 'reply-to', 'sender')".

I actually changed that in my mm_cfg.py file after this problem started
in hopes that it would help.  The original value was No, I changed it to
Yes.

Now the messages are held because 'news at sea.gmane.org' is not a member
of the list.

david