[Mailman-Users] Non-members allowed to post!

David Gibbs david at midrange.com
Tue Mar 8 16:27:22 CET 2005

I did a bit more digging ... it seems that mail coming in from the GMane
system is not being parsed correctly by Mailman.

As a somewhat knee-jerk reaction, I turned on the moderation flag for
all subscribers to stop the unauthorized posting.

A few minutes ago I got a moderation notification that indicated that a
message was being posted from 'rpg400 at m.gmane.org'.

> As list administrator, your authorization is requested for the
> following mailing list posting:
>
>     List:    RPG400-L at midrange.com
>     From:    rpg400 at m.gmane.org
>     Subject: Re: Making Triggers Resilient
>     Reason:  Post to moderated list

The message, however, had not been submitted BY rpg400 at m.gmane.org, it
was submitted from a normal subscriber.

Here's the headers from the message (somewhat scrubbed to protect
privacy)...

> To: rpg400-l at midrange.com
> From: "Buck Calabro" <buck.calabro at xxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Making Triggers Resilient
> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:43:43 -0500
> Sender: news <news at sea.gmane.org>

The only place that rpg400 at m.gmane.org shows up is in the
'X-MailScanner-From:' header.

It appears that Mailman is picking up the 'From:' information from the
wrong header.

Is this a problem with Gmane or Mailman?

david