[Mailman-Users] problems with bounce processing

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Mar 5 19:33:06 CET 2005

Noah Meyerhans wrote:

>Hi all.  I'm stumped by a problem I've been having with Mailman 2.1.x
>and bounce processing.  A number of users have recently had their
>subscriptions to several mailing lists disabled due to bounces.
>However, I know that their mail is working properly as they're local to
>my site and use their mail daily.
>
>Is it possible to see the actual content of the bounces that mailman has
>processed?  Like I said, I don't think anybody's mail is actually
>bouncing, but clearly Mailman thinks it is.  I need to figure out why so
>I can fix this...

If you set bounce_notify_owner_on_disable and
bounce_notify_owner_on_removal to "Yes" on the Bounce processing page,
the list owner will receive a copy of the bounce message that caused
the disable or removal.

As Brad noted, you can't see the actual bounce messages preceeding the
ones that cause disable or removal (unless you somehow get your MTA to
send you a copy), but you can see their occurrence is noted in the
'bounce' log.