[Mailman-Users] Postfix problem: Local deliveriesarebeing smtp delivered instead

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Fri Mar 4 18:17:54 CET 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

>     Try re-reading it.  I believe you will find that it does.

Having investigated exactly that issue three days ago and found it not
to be the problem, I am quite confident that it does not.

>     I can understand your frustration, but taking it out on me isn't
> going to help you solve your problem any sooner.

Do you understand the impact of making a post like you did to the
question? Those who are skimming mailing lists are not likely to read my
post because they see it's already been replied to. And those who read
your post will simply assume I was expecting the list to solve my
problem without any effort on my part, making the possiblity of a reply
even less likely. And now these posts will get archived and indexed by
Google, and someone else will get the misleading advice in a search.

>     Try putting the fully qualified domain name in question into your
> $mydestination list.  Postfix should then recognize the domain as local
> and not something to be delivered via SMTP.  This is explained on the
> page above.

We have already, as I explained, ascertained that there is nothing
whatsoever wrong with the mydestination setting. So far there looks like
there is an issue with the transport_maps the pop toaster is using to
implement mail server clustering that might have an impact on local
delivery. When I am not about to board a plane, I am going to be looking
at it further.

>     Having looked at your entire post yet once again, It sure looks that
> simple to me.  You've got the following $mydestination defined:
>
>         mydestination = $myhostname, localhost, localhost.$mydomain
>
>     From looking at the log entries you quoted, I presume that your
> $hostname may be "chandler".  I hope that you've got $mydomain set to
> "sharp.fm".  However, you do not define $mydestination to include
> "$myhostname.$mydomain", although you do include "localhost" and
> "localhost.$mydomain".

Wrong. The hostname is "chandler.sharp.fm":

[root at chandler root]# postconf myhostname
myhostname = chandler.sharp.fm

Regards,
Graham