[Mailman-Users] How to make different versions of anemail

Marina Markus mary at bgumail.bgu.ac.il
Thu Mar 3 17:02:49 CET 2005

 address 	look equivalent?

Hello and thank you, but ...

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 4:35 PM +0200 2005-03-03, Marina Markus wrote:
>
> >  Is there any easy way to inform Mailmain that these two addresses are in
> >  fact the same (sort of sender address aliasing) ?
>
> 	Within Mailman?  No.  You should fix that at the MTA.  Either fix
> it at the sending MTA, so that all addresses are canonicalized into
> one form or the other, or fix it on the MTA where Mailman is running
> so that all addresses are canonicalized.

Just in case you have an idea how to do it in Postfix (at the
server where Mailman is running) - I'd be grateful. Still, it seems not to
help - even if all "long" addresses are translated into "short" by
receiving MTA, people can subscribe with "long" addresses without our
control.

> >  Otherwise, a user who is subscribed with the long version of address, and
> >  sends mail with the short version in "From", will have his message rejected
> >  like one from a non-member etc.
>
> 	Alternatively, have the affected parties subscribe with both
> addresses, and then set one of them to NOMAIL.  This will allow them
> to post from either address, but they'll only get one copy of posts
> to the mailing list.

Yes, but I can't force them to subscribe twice - so I'll have to hack the
subscription scripts to write both addresses by myself.

It seems to me anyway that I'll find no ready solution and will have
to change Mailman code. In fact, this is what I did - changed
"isMember(self, member)" in "OldStyleMemberships.py", but this doesn't
always work smooth.

So I hoped to find some ready recipe I missed in the documentation;
but as I now know it doesn't exist I'll continue to improve my code
hacking.

Thank you!
-Marina