[Mailman-Users] Moving of the subscribers with their passwords, preferences etc.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 1 00:59:02 CET 2005

Andy wrote:

>Is that possible during moving of the lists to a new server to move all users
>along with their e-mails, names, passwords and preferences they set, so that
>they would not need to resubscribe (or that list-owner would not need to
>subscribe them again, what would unfortunately generate new passwords for
>them)?
>Which files to move in order to do that?

Move the directories and files in the lists/ directory. At a minimum
all you really need for list settings, members, member options and
passwords is the lists/<listname>/config.pck (or config.db for pre
2.1.x) file for each list.

You can move a config.* from an older release to a newer release and
Mailman should automatically update it on the new release, but I think
this is only guaranteed for config.pck files. In the case of a
config.db file, there are possible incompatibilities if the Python
versions are different on the source and destination.