[Mailman-Users] Help getting SuSE 9.3+Mailman 2.1.5+Apache2 working

Michael Regoli regoli at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 00:28:22 CEST 2005

Hello! I'm trying to get mailman and Apache2 working nicely from the
stock SuSE distro. (YOU, Yast Online Update is current on the machine,
so if there's new stuff for either mailman or Apache2, I've got it.
mailman is version [2.1.5] and Apache2 is version [2.0.53].)

Has anyone got the two working together? If so, could you shed some
light on your Apache2 configuration? I've followed all of the
instructions at
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node10.html, but
cannot get Apache2 to "see" the mailman stuff in
/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin (I'm getting 403: "client denied by server
configuration: /var/lib/mailman/cgi-bin" when I visit
"http://servername/mailman/admin" for instance.)

Web server is running fine.  The machine has a few other virtual hosts
on it, so I've put the mailman configuration into the default virtual
hosts setup in /etc/apache2/default-server.conf:

<VirtualHost xxx.xx.xx.x>
 ServerName www.servername.here:80
 DocumentRoot "/srv/www/htdocs"
 ServerAdmin root at servername.org
 TransferLog /var/log/apache2/access_log
 ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error_log
 ScriptAlias /mailman/ /var/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
 <Directory "/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/">
   AllowOverride None
   Options +ExecCGI +Includes
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
< /Directory>
</VirtualHost>

I've even tried duplicating the <Directory ...> section above in the
main "default-server.conf" file to allow CGI from within the
mailman/cgi-bin directory.  No luck.

I think I'm putting the mailman configuration in the wrong place, as
apache is clearly not letting me run anything from the mailman/cgi-bin
directory.

Thanks for any advice!  --mike