[Mailman-Users] aliases assistant

Diana Huang diana.huang at majitek.com
Thu Jun 16 02:48:38 CEST 2005

Thanks all, you guys really give me some hints on my problem. Let me show
you permission of the script and the commands the script executes.

> I agree with Mark, it could permission problems either with the script
> or with the commands the script executes.
>
> I sometimes get fooled by the misconception "root can do anything" too,
> but in fact it can't, permissions are still checked. The most common
> example of this is a file whose permissions are granted only to a
> non-root owner. Root is denied in this case. However root can su to that
> owner and then perform the operation.
>
> Also, the complete absence of execute permission is not something root
> can compensate for.

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           81 Jun  7 12:41
/usr/local/sbin/mailman.aliases

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        47988 Oct 30  2003 /bin/cp

-rw-rw----    1 mailman  mailman      1110 Jun 15 15:11
/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          685 Jun  7 13:42 /etc/mailman.aliases

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           32 Apr  7  2003
/usr/bin/newaliases -> /etc/alternatives/mta-newaliases

I create a mailman user, which is in the mailman group. The mailman group
only has a mailman user.

I suppose the problems are caused by:

1. user mailman has no  execute permission to run
/usr/local/sbin/mailman.aliases (causes "command not found")
2. user root has no read permission to see /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
(causes "status: 1, Operation not permitted")

Am I right?

Cheers, Diana