[Mailman-Users] Customize the design

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 16 01:07:40 CEST 2005

Starshaped Media wrote:

>I have Mailman up and running on my shared hosting account, in fact my host already had it installed.
>
>Anyway, I have managed to change the design (via the admin panel) for the info and subscription pages but there are still a few pages that I have no idea where or how to edit.
>
>My host doesn't offer support for Mailman, they did mention that I might be because I do not have 'shell-access' to Mailman, is this the case?

There are a few templates that can be edited via the "Edit the public
HTML pages" link in the admin interface. This editing makes a list
specific, edited version of the template. Most of the templates are
not editable via this web interface and some pages are not built from
templates at all.

To edit the templates that aren't editable through the web generally
does require shell access that your hosting provider is not likely to
give you for a shared installation.

See the FAQ article at
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp
for general information about where edited templates need to go to
affect a particular list, a particular domain or the whole site.

To see what templates there are and what they look like, go to
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mailman/mailman/templates/en/
(or possibly another 'language' directory) and scroll to the bottom
and select the branch corresponding to your Mailman version.

If you retrieve and edit the templates of interest, you may be able to
convince your host provider to install them for you as described in
the above FAQ reference.