[Mailman-Users] External membership sources

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 13 22:43:58 CEST 2005

Tracey McCartney wrote:

>The Mailman home page thanks control.com for their sponsorship of, among
>other things, "external membership sources" in the new version of Mailman.
>
>Is this "external membership sources" feature documented somewhere yet, and
>can it be implemented by list administrators, or is it available only to
>the folks who have access to the server Mailman's running on?  Our Mailman
>lists run in a shared hosting environment.  I'd love to be able to run
>Mailman from a MySql database so that I don't have to keep up with
>subscribers in two different places.

I think that's a reference to the ability to use the extend.py
mechanism to specify a custom member adaptor for a list. go to
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=300103 and search
for Summary keyword: adaptor.

This feature definitely requires the assistance of "the folks who have
access to the server Mailman's running on", but it can be implemented
for a single list or group of lists. The LDAP adaptor that you'll find
with the above search does/describes this better than the MySql
adaptor.