[Mailman-Users] Messages silently dropped after being approved

Ryan Rempel rgrempel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:35:26 CEST 2005

On 6/8/05, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

> Ryan Rempel wrote:
>
>> I am having a problem with messages sometimes being silently dropped
>> after being approved.
>
> I don't know if this is happening in your case, but one way this can
> happen is if content filtering discards the message after it is
> approved. Content filtering is not normally applied until after
> moderation and other holds are checked, so an approved post can still
> have all its content removed by content filtering and then be handled
> according to filter_action.

It turned out that it was entirely my fault -- I had made some
modifications to LDAPMemberships.py, and hadn't thought things through
quite well enough -- there were some circumstances in which it would
report that the mailing list had no members, in which case (of course)
no one would get the mail! What confused me a little was that the
problem didn't affect the web interface, so the member list always
seemed correct.

So, it was a purely local phenomenon :-)