[Mailman-Users] changing mailing list name

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jun 12 07:21:09 CEST 2005

Cassie Ferguson wrote:

>Is there a way to change the name of a mailing list using the
>administrator's web interface?

No

>If not, is there a relatively simple
>way to do it by logging into my machine?

It can be done, but it's not that simple.

You have to rename the lists/listname/ directory. You have to change
the lists real_name and _internal_name attributes. You have to change
the MTA aliases for the list if your MTA uses them.

You have to rename archives/private/listname/,
archives/private/listname.mbox/ and
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox.

If the list has public archives you have to change the name and target
of the archives/public/listname symlink.

There will be some links in the archive to the old listinfo page. To
fix these, you can use "bin/arch --wipe newlistname" to recreate the
list's archive.

I *think* that would do it, but all the usual disclaimers apply.

It might be easier to just use bin/config_list to dump the
configuration to a file and bin/listmembers to list the digest and
non-digest members, and create a new list, configure it with
bin/config_list and mass subscribe the regular and digest members, but
this will not preserve all member options and doesn't address the
archive.