[Mailman-Users] Auto discard non-members messages

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 10 02:19:04 CEST 2005

Daevid Vincent wrote:

>I'm starting to see a lot of spam sent to my two lists. Both are members
>only.
>
>I'd like mailman to automatically discard any messages sent to the list from
>non-members. However, I would like to accept (and send to me/admin) any
>subscribe request messages (otherwise, how would I get new members ;-)

What do you consider a subscribe request? If you mean a message sent to
the list posting address (listname at example.com) with a subject or
message body saying "please subscribe me" or something like that, then
you can't do what you want because these messages will be discarded
like any other non-member post.

If you consider a subscribe request to be a message sent to the
listname-subscribe at example.com or listname-join at example.com address or
to the listname-request at example.com address with subject or body
"subscribe", then this is easy. You can set subscribe_policy to
require your approval or not. You can set admin_notify_mchanges to Yes
so you get notified of subscribes and unsubscribes. You can set
generic_nonmember_action to Discard so non-member posts will be
discarded.

So, if you're not concerned about subscribe requests sent to the list
posting address, you can discard all non-member posts. If you want to
see a potential subscribe request that's sent to the list posting
address, then you have to Hold non-member posts.