[Mailman-Users] Messages silently dropped after being approved

Ryan Rempel rgrempel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 00:35:38 CEST 2005

I am having a problem with messages sometimes being silently dropped
after being approved.

I successfully get the message telling me that there is a message
waiting for approval. I then use the web interface to approve it. The
approval is noted in the "vette" log. The message is copied to the
appropriate archive. However, it does not appear in the "post" log,
nor in the "smtp" log (and, of course, the message is not sent --
nothing appears in the log of my mail server). There is nothing in the
"error" log.

If I restart mailman, and then send a message again, the process works
as expected (i.e. I can approve it and it actually goes out). As a
workaround, I tried a cron job that would stop and start mailman every
hour, but that doesn't appear to help. (I guess it only helps if I
restart mailman after the problem has occured).

I'm running Mailman 2.1.5 on FreeBSD 5.4.

I am using a modified version of the LDAP member adaptor for the lists
in question. For that reason, I am fully prepared to believe that it
is something in the LDAP member adaptor (or my modifications) that is
causing the problem. But as there is no error message in the log, I'm
a little at a loss to figure out what is going on.

If anyone has seen something like this and can offer suggestions for
tracking it down, I would be most grateful.

Perhaps my best bet would be to set up a test list (with just myself
as a member, so as not to annoy the list with test messages) and try
to reproduce the problem. I could then put some logging statements in
the Mailman code to see if I can narrow down where the problem occurs.