[Mailman-Users] First-time poster...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 6 21:48:26 CEST 2005

Bill Landry wrote:

> [...]

And did that say anything about a group mismatch error? Or is there
anything in Mailman's 'error' log?

If you're getting group mismatch errors, see FAQ article 6.16

>> Have you followed the Postfix setup instructions at for example
>> http://mailman.sourceforge.net/mailman-install/node12.html (mirrors at
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node12.html and
>> http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html
>
>Yes.
>
>> In any case, this appears to be a postfix configuration issue. A google
>> search for "cannot find alias database owner" turns up two links to a
>> postfix module alias.c, the relevant piece of which is:
>>
>>     /*
>>      * DELIVERY RIGHTS
>
>Not sure what to do with this code snippet.

Nor I. I only mentioned it because the comment seems to indicate that
if the aliases.db (and aliases) is owned by mailman, postfix has to be
told something about what "rights" to give mailman.

>If you have any further advice
>based on the "Command died with status 1" I receive when setting the
>aliases.db perms to root:mailman, please let me know.  Otherwise, I will
>post this to the Postfix list to see what they have to say.

As above, I think setting the owner of the aliases to root allowed
postfix to pipe the message to the mailman wrapper which then died.
What usually causes this is the "group mismatch error".