[Mailman-Users] List Members Getting Multiple Copies?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 6 05:36:12 CEST 2005

Hunter Hillegas wrote:

>I have an announce only list on MM2.1.5 running on RHEL3.
>
>I have had several members complain that they are getting multiple copies of
>each message from the list.
>
>I checked to make sure that these folks were not subscribed more than once.
>
>Any ideas what could cause this?

This is unlikely to be a mailman problem, but assuming that only some
and not all members are getting duplicates, the duplicates could be
generated by Mailman or the outbound MTA or anywhere from there to the
user. You can narrow it down somewhat by comparing Received: headers
between the two duplicates. If you determine that two copies were sent
from your outbound MTA, it could be there or in Mailman.

You then need to look at logs. Mailman's 'smtp' and perhaps
'smtp-failure' logs can incriminate or rule out Mailman or the
Mailman/MTA interface. Beyond that you have to look at MTA logs.