[Mailman-Users] short question, probably an FAQ that I've overlooked.

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jun 3 02:57:23 CEST 2005

At 7:50 PM -0500 2005-06-02, Larry Stone wrote:

>  Brad, I realize this is getting a little off of Mailman but how is that
>  different from what a BCC does? A BCC "header" is local to the originating
>  MUA - it doesn't appear in the transmitted message but the BCC recipients do
>  become envelope recipients. So from the view of the MTA, isn't what you say
>  Mailman does exactly the same as what the MUA does with a BCC?

	Well, "Bcc:" is a header.  Mailman never uses a "Bcc:" header.
In terms of the implementation, by listing multiple envelope
recipients, there is no practical difference.

	The technical difference is that a "Bcc:" header is something
that would typically be added by an MUA, but an MUA wouldn't know
enough about the SMTP protocol in order to be able to provide
multiple envelope recipients directly.  In this case, it's up to the
MTA to take the "Bcc:" header and interpret those contents
appropriately.

	However, Mailman does know enough about the SMTP protocol that it
can by-pass the use of a "Bcc:" header, and go straight to listing
multiple envelope recipients.

	The difference is akin to putting a stamp on an envelope and
putting that in the mailbox yourself, or going down to the post
office with a letter in-hand and paying to have the person at the
window put the stamp onto the letter and put the envelope into the
bag.

	Do you understand how to put a stamp onto an envelope and where
the stamp goes, how many stamps of what kind to use for what type of
mail you're sending and how much it weighs, and do you have a ready
supply of the appropriate stamps at your disposal?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755