[Mailman-Users] Umbrella lists and Reply-to issue

Padraig Houlahan pjh at lowell.edu
Fri Jul 29 22:28:20 CEST 2005

Greetings:

I have an umbrella list that I can't quite configure exactly
the way I want.

Here is the situation:

List STAFF contains list STUDENTS and list ADMINS

Currently, STUDENTS and ADMINS have aliases set so email for
STAFF is accepted, which is fine.

The problem is that when external email arrives for STAFF
and needs to be moderated, it also needs to be moderated by
STUDENTS and ADMINS. In practice, I have a much more complex
list of lists than this so this is a real nuisance.

I have tried setting the "Hide Sender" option so the email
appears to be from a local address (STAFF at ...), but this
seems to always over-ride any settings in either (or both)
of the "Strip reply-to" and the "Where are replies to list
messages directed?" options. This means that while "Hide
Sender" allows moderated mail posted to STAFF to appear as
being from STAFF, it also means the Reply-To's are directed
to the STAFF list instead of the poster.

So, I want to be able to Hide the Sender, but set the
Reply-To to the poster. However, Hide Sender seems to
prevent this.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation with
MailMan?

Regards,

PH