[Mailman-Users] Stripping an Attachment?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 29 16:57:30 CEST 2005

Larry Rosenman wrote:

>On Jul 29 2005, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Larry Rosenman wrote:
>>
>> >We have a list set up with a 4000K size limit, and just the bad Microsoft
>> >Extensions in the list
>> >Of bad ones, not including the .DOC extension this user used.
>> >
>> >Why would mailman strip the .DOC?
>>

>> Content filtering does not strip based on filename extension. It strips
>> based on mime content type. Just because a file is named *.doc doesn't
>> mean a sender's MUA gives it a content type of application/msword when
>> attaching it to a mail message.
>>
>> Also, see Brad's suggestion in another reply that you might be
>> scrubbing attachments from regular deliveries.
>
>That option is NOT set....
>

>> > I have a PDF of the contentfilter page, but this list won't let me post
>> > it, I can send to anyone that Want/needs to see it.
>>
>> Why not just copy and paste the contents of the filter_mime_types and
>> pass_mime_types boxes into a text post?
>the mime types boxes are all empty....

Is content filtering even on? and if so, why if there is nothing in
*_mime_types?

What is the list of bad extensions you refer to? Are you using
header_filter_rules to catch posts with 'bad' attachments? If so, this
should only result in application of the action to the entire post,
not stripping of sub parts. Likewise max_message_size.