[Mailman-Users] Help with web-based confirmation

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 29 01:36:47 CEST 2005

Russ Romano wrote:

>I'm new to the mailman users list.  I was a remote admin for a
>listproc-based mailing list for many years and upgrading to mailman a
>couple of years ago.  A recent upgrade by our ISP pushed me to mailman
>v2.0.13, and certain features appear to have been lost/hidden in this
>migration.  I was hoping this group could provide some insight.

2.0.13 is very old. 2.1 inal was released in Dec, 2002. Current is
2.1.6. Urge your ISP to upgrade.

>The biggest issue is that subscription confirmation via email doesn't
>appear to work at all.  I'm not sure if mailman is having trouble with
>HTML or MIME in the replies, or the appended >'s in the reply cause
>problems... but it isn't working for the majority of my users.  In the
>past there was a very reliable web-based confirmation.  I know this
>still exists because I used it to confirm my subscription to THIS list,
>but on my confirmation emails it is missing, and I can't find an option
>to turn it on via the admin interface.

I don't know about 2.0.13 at all. I don't know if it supports web
confirmation. What I do know is that in 2.1 problems arise in e-mail
confirmations if the users MUA does funny stuff with the subject. A
confirmation message to the user has Subject: confirm <token>. A
confirming reply needs to go to the listname-request address with the
same subject. There is a kludge so that a reply with a subject such as

Subject: Re: confirm <token>

will work, but the kludge only ignores at most one 'token' preceding
'confirm' so that for example

will not work (note the space between Re and :).

I don't know if any of this is relevant to your situation. Again, your
best solution is to convince your provider to upgrade if you can.