[Mailman-Users] Is this a mailman or postfix error?

roy vinner roypivn at indiana.edu
Thu Jul 28 23:59:08 CEST 2005

Hi John,

I appreciate your quick response!

John Dennis wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 16:28 -0500, roy vinner wrote:
>
>>Greetings!
>>
>>I have a problem that any address which is supposed to be resolved with
>>the path-to-mailman/data/aliases produces a "message undeliverable" error.
>>
>>I've also discovered that if I run an alias expansion from the command line
>>
>>aliases:
>># STANZA START: try
>># CREATED: Mon Jul 25 17:19:03 2005
>>try:             "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post try"
>>try-admin:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin try"
>>try-bounces:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces try"
>>try-confirm:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm try"
>>try-join:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join try"
>>try-leave:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave try"
>>try-owner:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner try"
>>try-request:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request try"
>>try-subscribe:   "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe try"
>>try-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe try"
>># STANZA END: try
>>
>>[mailman at nrg mailman-2.1.6]$ /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request try
>>Failure to find group name mailman.  Try adding this group
>>to your system, or re-run configure, providing an
>>existing group name with the command line option --with-mail-gid.
>>
>>I have re-run mailman's configure as requested by the above message and
>>group mailman does exist on my machine. I am clueless as to what is awry
>>here with postfix aliases? Is this a postfix or mailman problem?
>>
>>Let me know if you need any more information for logs or config files.
>

> There are two immediate things to check:
>
> 1) I know you said it, but please verify the mailman uid and gid:
>
> # id mailman

mailman at nrg mailman]$ id mailman
uid=505(mailman) gid=407(mailman)
groups=407(mailman),73(apache),503(nrgweb),504(roy),422(www)

> 2) Postfix has a "feature" which is it will run the commands found in an
> alias file under the identity of the alias file. What is the owner/group
> of the alias file:
>
> # ls -l path-to-mailman/data/aliases

mailman at nrg mailman]$ ls -l data/aliases
-rw-rw-r--  1 mailman mailman 2682 Jul 28 11:35 data/aliases

> if its group does not match what the mailman wrapper is configured for
> you'll get group mismatch problems because postfix will attempt to run
> the mailman alias commands under the group belonging to the alias file,
> not to the mail_owner in postfix's main.cf file. I think I recall a
> config variable to turn the postfix behavior off, but you should not do
> that because mailman should be creating the alias file and hence it
> should match the uid/gid, but if you hand created it, then all bets are
> off.

I re-configured mailman with all defaults (I created a group www with
mailman at nrg mailman]$ id www
uid=506(www) gid=422(www) groups=422(www),503(nrgweb),504(roy),407(mailman)

Does this information help you? I am still clueless...

Roy