[Mailman-Users] thousands of lists

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 28 10:45:37 CEST 2005

At 3:07 PM +1000 2005-07-28, Iain Pople wrote:

>  We are using Solaris UFS.

	If switching filesystems is an option, you might want to take a
look at Veritas VxFS.  It's a commercial replacement that should be
more than enough for your needs.  I've had experience with SGI XFS
(on real SGI hardware), and other journaling filesystems, as well as
other extent-based directory-hashing filesystems, and VxFS beats
everything else I've seen -- hands-down.

	If VxFS isn't an option, keep an eye on ZFS for Solaris 10.  I've
heard some really good things about it.

	Otherwise, you may be forced to have multiple Mailman
installations, each covering a subset of your 15,000 lists.  Or, you
may need to come up with a hack to implement a hashed directory
scheme.

	There is an old patch at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=403064&group_id=103&atid=300103>
which sounds related according to the description, but the comment
from Barry indicates that something similar has already been applied
to the code, which is why this patch was closed.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755