[Mailman-Users] Incoming messages are not received in Mailman+ Postfix

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 18:39:14 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 10:17 -0500, roy vinner wrote:
> I tried 'ping'ing and received no answer for 128.252.27.164 .
>
> My system admin tested it and reported that "nothing is listening on
> that port:
> ------
> sg at james% telnet nrg.wustl.edu 25
> Trying 128.252.27.164...
> sg at james% "

BTW, this really isn't a mailman issue, its postfix, its best to move
this discussion to a postfix list or better yet visit www.postfix.org
and read their doc. But let me give you one last set of suggestions:

Connection refused typically means the port you're trying to connect to
(port 25) is blocked by a firewall. It can be blocked in a variety of
places, either on the machine you're running the server on or by any
other router in between.

BTW, connection refused does not mean nothing is listening on the port.

To see if something is listening on the port you must go the local
machine the server is running and either try to connect locally

# telnet localhost 25

-or-

examine who is listening on the port using any of a variety of
networking utilities, such as:

# netstat -l -n | grep :25

or

# netstat -l | grep smtp

Using the first example:

# netstat -l -n | grep :25
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN
tcp        0      0 192.168.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN

This says port 25 is being listened on the localhost (loopback) because
your loopback is 127.0.0.1 and its listening on 192.168.0.0 which is
192.168.0.0 (ficticious net addr).

If nothing is listening on the external interface, then is postfix
running? If so did you restart it after modify inet_interfaces to
include the external interface?

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>