[Mailman-Users] "No such list mailman" after creating list -Possibly Solved?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jul 26 17:48:46 CEST 2005

Josh Simoneau wrote:

>For some reason my web server was looking to /var/mailman for data, even
>though I cannot find anything in httpd.conf that points to /var/mailman.
>So, while I was happily updating and tinkering with everything in
>/usr/local/mailman Apache was looking to the wrong place and not finding
>the lists or proper passwords.
>
>So, my last challenge is to figure out why Apache is looking to
>/var/mailman where I can't find anything in the config to tell it to
>look there. Maybe its somewhere else. For a workaround I just renamed
>the /var/mailman directory and created a symbolic link from /var/mailman
>to /usr/local/mailman. It works, but I still want to know how to get
>Apache to look to the right spot.
>
>I do have in httpd.conf:
>ScriptAlias /mailman/       /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
>Alias   /pipermail/     /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
>
>That's not really the job of you folks here to troubleshoot Apache
>issues, but if someone is feeling kind....

I don't think it's an Apache issue. I think it's mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py
- in particular the settings for

PREFIX          =
EXEC_PREFIX     =
VAR_PREFIX      =

These should be properly set by ./configure from the defaults or values
provided with the

--prefix=dir
--exec-prefix=dir
--with-var-prefix=dir

options (see http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node7.html).

Normally, whatever configure sets these to is where things will be
installed and later found, but I'm guessing that somehow the wrong
mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py is being picked up somewhere. Maybe the wrappers
in cgi-bin/ are wrong or there's more than one ScriptAlias for mailman
in the Apache config. or maybe the wrong makefile was used by make.