[Mailman-Users] mailman/gentoo/apache2, but going to web interface gives me 404 not found

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Fri Jul 22 08:04:27 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm almost ashamed to ask this since it's probably the single most
common error when setting up mailman.

I have searched the archives but I haven't seen a case quite like mine;
namely, with gentoo. The reason I wonder if this plays a role is that
the gentoo install probably tried to do something, and perhaps got it
wrong.

Anyway, installation went smoothly following the gentoo+mailman howto
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_install_Gnu_Mailman)

and I received the mail saying my default list "mailman" had been
created and how to access it. However, visiting any of the pages
mentioned there gave me a "404 - not found" error.

Searching the archives did turn up a suggestion, that I add to my
apache2 config file a line:

   ScriptAlias /mailman /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin

now accessing any of my mailman URLs give:

   403 Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /mailman/admin/mailman on this server.

but bin/check_perms -f says everything is ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Michael