[Mailman-Users] Public link to subscriber-only list?

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Mon Jul 18 14:18:36 CEST 2005

Hi all,

As I wanted to contact the mailman folks, I followed the "Email Us"
link on the front page [1] of the mailman project, which points to this
mailman-users list, and had the bad surprise to see my post come back to
me because posting to the list is only allowed to subscribers, which I
wasn't.

I see very little point in having such a public link to a subscriber-only
list. I can easily imagine that many other users have followed the link
like I just did, and ended up frustrated that their post was rejected.
Thus, I would propose that one of the following actions is taken:

1* Make the list public (possibly by making non-member posts moderated
rather than rejected).

2* Make the link point to the list subscription page [2] rather than the
list address itself, as subscribing is the first thing that needs be
done here. This might add to confusion more than help though.

3* Remove the link altogether, as proposals 1 and 2 don't sound really
good.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/

Thanks,
--