[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.6 slowness...?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at osl.iu.edu
Sun Jul 17 15:56:37 CEST 2005

On Jul 16, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> Short version -- all good tips; many thanks.  We're investigating them
> all, but as you suggested, we're changing one thing at a time.
> Checking them thoroughly takes a little while, so I probably won't be
> able to report anything intelligent back on our results for a week or
> so (gotta wait for peak usage, for one thing).

Some of our preliminary results are causing us to scratch our heads.
Here's some output from the mailman smtp log:

Jul 17 07:49:20 2005 (4460) <20050717122437.79C6BD0C57 at rekin6.o2.pl>
smtp to lam for 443 recips, completed in 621.976 seconds
Jul 17 07:52:21 2005 (4460)
<mailman.142.1121603081.4458.lam at lam-mpi.org> smtp to lam for 141
recips, completed in 180.912 seconds
Jul 17 07:52:33 2005 (4460)
<mailman.143.1121603081.4458.lam at lam-mpi.org> smtp to lam for 8 recips,
completed in 12.025 seconds

This is from a mailing list named "lam".  The total number of
recipients from the three lines adds up to the number of subscribers on
the list who have mail enabled, so that's not puzzling (443 + 141 + 8 =
592).

But we're wondering why one post on the LAM list results in 3
consecutive lines in the mailman output log -- it seems like there
should be a whole bunch of lines saying "smtp to lam for
[SMTP_MAX_RCPTS] recips..." or just one line saying "smtp to lam for
[total] recips..."

Why three?

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} jsquyres at osl.iu.edu
{+} Post Doctoral Research Associate, Open Systems Lab, Indiana
University
{+} http://www.osl.iu.edu/