[Mailman-Users] E-Mail to some users get lost or are very late

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Tue Jul 12 10:52:47 CEST 2005

John Dennis schrieb:
> On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 16:38 +0200, Götz Reinicke wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>we run mailman mailman-2.1.5-33.rhel4 on a RHEL 4 Clone (Tao Linux 4,
>>kernel 2.6.9-11.ELsmp). Some days ago, some users noticed, that they
>>dont get all mails send to the mailinglists they are subscribed to or
>>that they get the mails with a delay from some days or weeks :-(
>>
>>I checked the quota, forward, alias and mailman settings for thouth
>>users, but everything seams O.K. for me.
>>
>>We use sendmail as MTA and dovecot as imap server.
>>
>>Any ideas what to check? Or waht info to provide?
>

> You're going to have to identify one of the delayed emails and look at
> it's headers to see where it was held up. You might also look
> at /var/log/maillog and the /var/log/mailman/smtp logs to see if and
> when the suspect messages were processed. Missing mail may have also
> bounced. Once your MTA hands off a set of mail to a destination SMTP
> server a whole host of things can happen to it that has nothing to do
> with your server. Your best bet is to verify from the logs the mail left
> your server when you expected it to.

The mailman server is also our central mailserver for our domain and the
users subscribed to the list are local users.

The mailmanlogs showed me an "failed with code 452: 4.5.3 Too many
recipients"-error, so I looked at the max rcpts settings of mailman and
sendmail.

sendmail accepted 100 rcpts, while mailman sended 500 (SMTP_MAX_RCPTS =
500). But I never had this problem bevore and the settings are set from
the begining of the installation (couple of month ago.)

I removed the restriction from sendmail but Mails get still lost or are
delayed (only for some users eg. one testmail to myselve was delayed by
about 20 Minutes)

In the maillog I found the following:
"timeout waiting for input from local during Draining Input"

Any more ideas?

Thanks & best regards

Götz
--