[Mailman-Users] closely related lists - using users from a different lists

John Hicks johnlist at gulfbridge.net
Mon Jul 11 16:24:17 CEST 2005

David Cake wrote:
 > 	I have two lists that are effectively low and high traffic
 > lists designed to serve the same constituency. So that a large number
 > of people do not need to be subscribed to announcements that go out
 > on the low traffic list, the high traffic list is also subscribed to
 > the low traffic list.
 > 	The only problem is that this means almost no one is
 > subscribed to the low traffic list, and virtually none of the people
 > who might post to it are, so almost every message is moderated.
 > 	Is there a way to allow people who are subscribed to a second
 > list to be accepted as subscribers to the first?
 > 	Cheers
 > 		David

(Warning: I'm a novice. I'm replying only because I see your query has
not been answered after five days.)

You can subscribe the members of the larger list to the smaller list:

First export the subscribers using the "list_members" command from the
server command line:

/usr/lib/mailman/bin/list_members  your-list-name  >
filename-for-member-list

Then import those addresses into the smaller list. I believe there are
two ways to do this:

--You can use the "mass subscribe" feature of the smaller list to import
the addresses. Paste the exported addresses into the "mass subscribe"
page on the admin web interface. Any duplicates will be ignored. This
method allows you the option of sending invitations rather than
arbitrarily subscribing them (based on your current setting in the admin
interface). If you send invitations, your invitees get the option of
choosing between regular and digest subscriptions.

--You could also use the "add_members" command from the server command
line. I believe this arbitrarily subscribes them without the option of
invitations:

/usr/lib/mailman/bin/add_members  -r filename-for-member-list your-list-name

The -r subscribes them as regular members -d as digest members.

Hope that helps.

John Hicks