[Mailman-Users] The newaliases file and the fact that it's not needed

Richard Hobbs richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 17:18:57 CEST 2005

Hello,

I have just installed anc configured mailman on our mail server, and it
seems to be working perfectly.

I added the system aliases into "/etc/aliases" and configured exim as per
the documentation on the mailman web site. I configured it in such a way
that exim didn't need to know about new mailing lists.

However, even though mailman is handling mailing lists successfully without
them being in "/etc/aliases", every time I create a new list, I get the
following email:

proper /etc/aliases (or equivalent) file must be updated.  The program
`newaliases' may also have to be run.

Here are the entries for the /etc/aliases file:

it:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post it"
it-admin:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin it"
it-bounces:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces it"
it-confirm:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm it"
it-join:         "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join it"
it-leave:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave it"
it-owner:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner it"
it-request:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request it"
it-subscribe:    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe it"
it-unsubscribe:  "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe it"
moment, and mailman is processing mail for it perfectly, but if this just
luck?

Below are the two sections which I added to /etc/exim4/exim4.conf:

# Mailman stuff
# Home dir for your Mailman installation -- aka Mailman's prefix
# directory.
MAILMAN_HOME=/var/lib/mailman
MAILMAN_WRAP=MAILMAN_HOME/mail/wrapper

# User and group for Mailman, should match your --with-mail-gid
# switch to Mailman's configure script.
MAILMAN_USER=list
MAILMAN_GROUP=list
# End of Mailman stuff

# Mailman stuff
mailman_router:
  driver = accept
  require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
  local_part_suffix_optional
  local_part_suffix = -bounces : -bounces+* : \
                      -confirm+* : -join : -leave : \
                      -owner : -request : -admin
  transport = mailman_transport
# End of Mailman stuff

Does anyone know why this is happening? I guess mailman doesn't know that
exim is configured to not care about new lists, but is there a way to tell
it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :-)

Richard Hobbs.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group
Email: richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Tel: +44 1223 376964        Mobile: +44 7811 803377