[Mailman-Users] hiding e-mail addresses in public archive

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 7 11:38:23 CEST 2005

At 12:02 AM -0700 2005-07-07, Tomasz Kukielka wrote:

>  I just set up a list using Mailman 2.1.5p1 (hope my web hoster
>  upgrades to the latest version soon). I was wondering if there is an
>  option to hide e-mail addresses of senders in the public archive -
>  only in the archive and only e-mails, not names. Simple e-mail
>  obfuscation (like joe at schmo dot com) is not good enough nowadays
>  with more and more advanced/malicious e-mail harvesters.

	Nope.  No such option exists within Mailman.  You could choose to
use an alternative external archiving program which may provide such
options, but that would be outside the control of Mailman.  Of
course, you'd need to talk to your provider about that.

	If you'd like the developers to consider modifying Mailman in the
future to support such an option, feel free to file a "Request For
Enhancement" on the Mailman SourceForge page at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=350103>.

>  I could not find any documentation on this topic and I would be
>  grateful if I could get a response. Apologies if it's a FAQ described
>  somewhere.

	While there is quite a lot of stuff in the FAQ (see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py>), I think this is one of
the few things that isn't covered there.  At least, not yet.  ;)

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755