[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.5 VERP / Sendmail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jan 29 22:40:30 CET 2005

Lauren Weinstein wrote:

>Greetings.  I'm evaluating Mailman (2.1.5) on some test lists, and
>seem to be having a problem getting VERP enabled.  I've set what
>seem like reasonable values in mm_cfg.py (please see below).
>However, envelope From addresses are still un-VERPed (e.g.
>mailman-bounce at foo.com) [testing on non-digest immediate delivery
>messages of course].

As far as I know, your settings look like they should enable VERPing
all messages. Did you do "mailmanctl restart" after changing mm_cfg.py?

>Two other questions: I assume that with sendmail it's necessary to
>build an alias file to handle the returning VERP bounces, since
>no intrinsic mechanism for this exists within sendmail itself?

I'm not a sendmail config expert, but I've used sendmail installations
where addresses of the form local-name+any-other-stuff at example.com get
delivered in exactly the same way as local-name at example.com. I think
it works that way by default, See for example
http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg24326.html
i.e. you just need your basic list aliases, not any special
listname-bounces+... ones.

>Also, I was surprised to discover that my mm_cfg.py file gets overwritten
>with the "empty" distribution version if "make install" is re-run.
>I had been under the impression that mm_cfg.py wouldn't be overwritten
>in such a case.

I'm surprised too.