[Mailman-Users] Virus Just Got Through on TOTALLY MODERATED list.

JC Dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Sat Jan 29 20:11:40 CET 2005

In my first post in this thread I wrote:

>  "what if there's a virus/trojan out that is able to take email that a
> user had already sent (email in the "sent" folder), and resend it with
> a virus payload (in this case, the beagle.ba  virus above)?  If it
> grabbed an email that the moderator had sent to the list with the
> would result in what you saw, right?"

>     Most moderators I know of don't need to use the Approved: header,
> because they themselves are not moderated on their own lists.  But
> then maybe you know more moderators than I do.

The ones I know that do this elect to use this method to prevent forged
posts "from" them to their one-way (newsletter) lists.  If all posts
must be approved one way or another, then random forged posts (using
addresses found on a victim's computer) won't get distributed to the
list.  But if a virus/trojan goes a step further and instead of just
using address found it uses actual previously sent email, and there is
saved email with the Approved: header, then that virus/trojan would be
able to forge a post to the list that would have the Approved: header,
and thus be distributed to the list.

jc