[Mailman-Users] Strange bounce messages - why is it allowedthroughand how do I find out?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 26 20:24:40 CET 2005

>Hey, Mark, thanks for your input.
>
>Yet I fail quite to understand what is letting it through.  I went over
>my sender filters, and only one address not on the subscriber list is
>allowed to post.  I've taken this away now, but the mail still gets
>through.
>
>AFAIK there are now no addresses beyond the subscription list that
>should be allowed to post.  Apart from that, there are just some
>addresses that are explicitly allowed as incoming addresses.  Have I
>overlooked something?
>
>I'll enclose the mail that gets sent through.

I can't tell much from the mail you enclosed which came from the list.
What you have to see is the message that arrives to the list before it
is resent from the list.

I suspect the reason that it gets through is that the incoming message
has an envelope from the original subscribed address and that is why
it is accepted for the list.

If you don't have too many digest subscribers, you could e-mail each
one individually and see which address returns this bogus bounce and
then just unsubscribe it.

Or, you could send one mail with Bcc: to all digest subscribers. If I
am right, this will produce a bounce and the envelope sender or some
header will identify who it was sent to.

/Mark