[Mailman-Users] Mailman list failing intermittently

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 26 05:59:34 CET 2005

Tracey McCartney wrote:

>The techs at my hosting service are good but may not know all the subtleties of this program.  Can any of you suggest things we should be looking at?  Do I have access to any logs?

Standard Mailman keeps several logs. Among these are 'post', 'error',
'smtp' and 'smtp-failure'. There are probably also logs kept by the
MTA. I don't know where any of these would be in a cPanel installation
or how you would access them.

There are also several queues which are normally in the qfiles/
directory in the Mailman installation directory and qrunner processes
to process the queues and a qrunner log which logs the starting and
stopping of the qrunners. If not all the qrunners were running, the
problem wouldn't be intermittent, but there could be a bad message in
one of the queues which is inhibiting processing. If this were the
case, I'd expect to see something in the error log.