[Mailman-Users] Filter for (no subject)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jan 25 17:00:33 CET 2005

Bob McLeran wrote:

>On the list I administer we get a few emails with no subject. Depending
>on the email client used to send the mail, the subject line shows up
>with "(no subject)" or a variant, or a blank line. We're havn't been
>able to figure out how to filter out those emails, despite using several
>variations.

In the situation you describe, the subject is blank and the MUA reading
the mail is providing the "(no subject)" message.

>Here are the filters we currently have in place (that don't work):
>
>[Ss]ubject: .*[Nn]o [Ss]ubject.*

This one is good for picking up things like "Re: No Subject" that might
be produced in a reply. Assuming you are putting these in
header_filter_rules, you don't need [Ss] etc. as the pattern match is
set to ignore case.

>[Ss]ubject: [Nn]o [Ss]ubject

This is redundant if you have the previous one.

>What should we be using for a filter in order to catch blank subject lines?

Have you tried

subject:[ \t]*$