[Mailman-Users] Mailman mailing list question

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 19 16:42:22 CET 2005

Ari Kaplan wrote:

>Hi - I recently had a mailing list located at
>http://arikaplan.net/mailman/admin/articles_arikaplan.net
>and hosted by 2mhost.com.  The host deleted this
>mailing list of e-mail addresses without my knowledge
>or authorization.  Do you think it is possible that
>there is still a backup of this list anywhere in the
>mailman system?

Mailman keeps one generation of "backup" of the list configuration and
membership, but it's almost certainly gone too. The working file is in
lists/<listname>/config.pck and the backup is
lists/<listname>/config.pck.last. Normal processes for deleting a list
will remove the lists/<listname>/ directory.

Are the archives gone too? If so, there is no backup within Mailman.
2mhost.com may have system backups (used for disaster recovery, etc.)
which contain your list and/or its archives. If you could get the
config.pck file and the
archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox files, you would have
what you need to recover the list and rebuild the archives.