[Mailman-Users] Resetting admin password

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 19 04:00:12 CET 2005

Joshua Beall wrote:

>I have a WHM/Cpanel server that with Mailman 2.1.5 installed (and running
>fine, up until now).
>
>However, I have been trying to using cpanel's 'reset list admin password'
>feature to reset the admin password for one of my list, and it's not
>working.  I know I'm not mistyping it, because I've repeatedly tried copying
>and pasting the same password into the "change admin password to" field in
>cpanel, and then subsequently into the admin password field when attempting
>to login to the web admin tool for Mailman.
>
>Cpanel always reports success when resetting the password, but it is not
>working.

Have you seen
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp

>I am wondering what my other options for resetting this password are?  Not
>everybody has cpanel installed - what is the "normal" way to reset a lost
>admin password for Mailman?

Go to http://www.example.com/mailman/admin/<listname>/passwords and log
in with the site password, or use

bin/change_pw

and if you don't know the site password, use

bin/mmsitepass

to set a new one. The site password isn't required for change_pw, only
for the web interface.