[Mailman-Users] Topics and Keywords, Consolidation and Filtering

Caylan Larson caylan at aero.und.edu
Tue Jan 18 19:25:56 CET 2005

Good Afternoon,

Question:  Can Mailman add the "Keywords: " header, or similar, to
leave an audit-trail so clients can sort their mail based on topics
that were matched?

Verbose situation follows...

A list has been created that has multiple topics (in this case
operating-systems), each topic containing a half-dozen keywords (apple,
microsoft, linux, solaris, etc.).  This list is called
admins at example.com.  Our sys-admins subscribe to various topics;
delivery works great.

To make it easy for our users to contact each team, we have setup the
following in /etc/postfix/aliases:
=========SNIP=========
apple:	| "/usr/local/sbin/subject-prefix.sh Apple admins"
microsoft:	| "/usr/local/sbin/subject-prefix.sh Microsoft admins"
linux:	| "/usr/local/sbin/subject-prefix.sh Linux admins"
network:	| "/usr/local/sbin/subject-prefix.sh Network admins"
=========SNAP

The subject-prefix script contains a simple sed substitution, which
adds a "Keywords: " header, and passes of to the Mailman list:
=========SNIP=========
#!/bin/sh

NEWLINE='\
'
/bin/sed "s/Subject:/Keywords:\ $1$NEWLINE\Subject:/" |
/usr/sbin/sendmail $2
=========SNAP

Note:  If they were multiple Mailman lists, (which they were at one
point), and I was subscribed to Apple/Linux/Network, I would end up
getting 3 separate emails if someone CCd an issue to all 3.  With
topics, we get one nice email.

Can Mailman add the "Keywords: " header, or similar, to leave an
audit-trail so clients can sort their mail based on topics that were
matched?  If not, how is a user able to identify (or debug) what a
particular piece of mail pertains to.

I do not want duplication or redundancy between
Mailman-topic-definitions and client-filter-rules.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading,

Caylan