[Mailman-Users] Looking for information on stability of Mailman

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Jan 11 10:03:38 CET 2005

At 5:44 PM -0800 2005-01-09, Bill Bruns-Yahoo wrote:

>  I am looking for information about the stability of Mailman,

	It's about as stable as any other mailing list management system
that I've seen in the twelve or so years I've been specializing in
doing Internet mail systems administration.  It's about as stable as
any other GNU project I've ever known, and keep in mind that most
hardware/OS vendors don't bother to develop their own compilers any
more and choose to use gcc (the GNU C Compiler) instead.

	If you're using Linux, then you should already know about the
stability of most GNU projects.  Mailman should be in that same
ballpark, with regards to stability.

	The one issue with Mailman is that it is not a commercial
program, and there is no commercial support available for it.  If you
need that, then you need to look elsewhere.

	Unless you want to provide full-time employment to Barry Warsaw
for all your necessary support, that is.

>                                                               especially
>  since there are quite a few problems reported on this list.

	Of course, you're going to see a lot of complaints here about it.
This is where people come to get help to solve their problems, and if
they're not having any problems, they're unlikely to post much of
anything here.

	See <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.024.htp>

>  Alternatively, if you could suggest a different mail list manager, that
>  would be useful also.

	You could always try Listserv, but that's pretty expensive.  Even
people with large mailing lists (hundreds of thousands of recipients)
usually choose to use something else, primarily due to the cost.

	Once you're over the level of hundreds of thousands of
recipients, there aren't many programs left that can handle that kind
of load, so you might have no other choice but to use Listserv.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755