[Mailman-Users] It seems Postfix is not the problem...

Terry Allen hmag at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jan 9 10:46:18 CET 2005

>After checking and re-checking, it seems I was
>wrong in thinking Postfix might be the problem.
>Somehow, I think I've broken Mailman to some
>extend. Let me elaborate: I was testing mailman
>by sending messages to the list owner. Nothing,
>the list owner didn't recieve them, and the
>sendmail queue was empty. I send a test message
>to the list. Nothing, the sendmail queue was
>still empty. Not knowing what else to do, I
>reboot the Linux server and try to start
>mailmanctl. It gives me the "stale pid" error so
>I start it with mailmanctl -s. So far, so good,
>I think. But still no message recieved. I check
>the logs, and nothing gives me a clue. Then I
>find this directory: /usr/local/mailmal/locks.
>When I do a ls, it gives me lots of .lock files
>with the name of my list. Deciding I had nothing
>to lose, I delete them all. Voilá, the list
>owner starts receiving mail I send 3 days ago
>and the sendmail queue starts to fill with the
>test message I send sever or eight hours ago!
>Tomorrow I'll send another test message (I'll
>wait for this to finish sending), but what I'd
>like to know, if someone actually has a clue, is
>what just did happen, or is happening, and more
>importantly, will it happen again? I think it
>has something to do with stale locks, but I
>can't be sure. So, if someone has an idea,
>please tell me.

Hi again,
	In looking, I think you are correct - a
lockfile problem. Hopefully this won't happen
again. Maybe a full system reboot might be in
order to clear all the processes.
--

	Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
	hEARd, 26B Glenning Rd,	Glenning Valley, NSW 2261, Australia
Internet -
	WWW: http://heard.com.au http://itavservices.com
EMAIL: hmag at ozemail.com.au
Phone: Australia - 02 4388 1400 / International - + 61 2 43881400
Mobile: Australia - 04 28881400 / International - 61 4 28881400