[Mailman-Users] population of a new list from old content?

Jim Tittsler jwt at onjapan.net
Fri Jan 7 01:47:51 CET 2005

On Jan 7, 2005, at 05:02, Matthew Boeckman wrote:

> We've had a 5 year old email alias used internally by our tech staff
> that I am turning into a Mailman list. I have the archives of the
> alias as mbox (or just about anything else)... is there a way to
> import those old emails to Mailman such that they are
> archivable/searchable within Mailman?

The bin/arch tool (normally used with the --wipe argument) can take
~mailman/archives/private/mylist.mbox/mylist.mbox (an mbox file) and
(re)make pipermail archives.  If you prepend the old mbox to the one
the new list has created, and do 'bin/arch --wipe mylist' you should
get a rebuilt set of archives for 'mylist'.

(Note that by default, Mailman's Pipermail archiver does not include a
search facility, although many people integrate one into their archive
schemes.)

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/