[Mailman-Users] Running Mailman with Cpanel, or on a different server

Glen Low glen.low at pixelglow.com
Wed Jan 5 02:49:09 CET 2005

Brad:

Thanks for your quick reply.

On 05/01/2005, at 9:20 AM, Brad Knowles wrote:

>>  3.	Is it possible to get Mailman on my server to archive mail to the
>>  web host company server? Perhaps by using ftp? (Are the archives
>> static
>>  files or cgi generated?)
>
> 	You can't do this directly, but the archives are generated as static
> files by Mailman, so you could ftp the HTML and other files up to
> their server.  However, you'd also need to edit the HTML to use the
> URLs that would be correct for the appropriate locations on the
> hosting server as opposed to your local Mailman machine.  That would
> take some work, but is do-able.

Are not the URL's relative URL's? If not, isn't there a config option I
can use to set the base URL's for them -- and hopefully won't spoil
some other part of the system?

> 	Of course, this would need to be automated via some mechanism outside
> of the scope of Mailman, such as cron.
>
>>  4.	How about the web front ends to the mailing list, is it possible
>>  to somehow rewire the cgi to interface with the Mailman on my system?
>
> 	I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but if I'm correct,
> then I don't think that this is possible.  You could set up a reverse
> proxy on your hosting provider server (or have them set up a reverse
> proxy for you), but I don't know if that is within the scope of the
> contract you have with them.

Some possible avenues of attack:

1.	Leave the CGI's on the web host company servers but have them
communicate with Mailman on a different server. (Can the Mailman CGI's
communicate this way?)
2.	Leave only static files for the web front end, and have any CGI form
processing happen on my local server. (Are CGI's used to dynamically
generate any files in the web front end?) At the very least I have a
static IP so would that be enough?
3.	I suppose I could write a simple wrapper CGI for the web host
company server that transparently forwards and retrieves information
from the true Mailman CGI's on my own local server...

>>  5.	Can I get Mailman to talk to an MTA on a different server? e.g. my
>>  ISP server?
>
> 	Yes, by making the appropriate modifications to the mm_cfg.py file.
> However, I believe that changing your outgoing MTA in this file will
> only affect lists that are created after the change is made, and all
> previously existing lists will continue to use the old configuration.

What I don't understand (showing my newbishness) is, how does Mailman
realize there's been mail sent to the list email address, when the MTA
is on a different server?

Cheers, Glen Low

---
pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff
www.pixelglow.com