[Mailman-Users] Cannot List Members

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Feb 27 04:04:31 CET 2005

Jeremi Bergman wrote:

>I'm trying to use the list_members script to list the members in the
>list, but it says the list doesn't exist, even though it does!
>
>root at bounty [/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin]# ./list_lists
>6 matching mailing lists found:
>         Cbmvols - [no description available]
>         epistle - Paul's E-Pistle
>         Mailman - Mailman site list
>       ogniwapat - Ta-Pa-Win-Go Fans
>    PaulsEpistle - [no description available]
>          Prayer - [no description available]
>root at bounty [/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin]# ./list_members epistle
>No such list: epistle
>root at bounty [/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin]#

Clearly there's something amiss here. The list name shown in the
list_lists output is the list's real_name attribute. Normally, this
name must be the same as the name of the list's directory in the
lists/ directory except for case. The name of the list's directory in
the lists/ directory must be lower case.

list_members is normally not case sensitive. i.e. it works whether the
listname is typed in lower or mixed case, but if the actual list
directory name is not all lower case, list_members (and other things
too) won't find it.

So, look at the contents of the lists/ directory and make sure that
there is an 'epistle' directory and that it is all lower case and
contains no transparent characters in its name.