[Mailman-Users] probe message

sean at sweetbourbon.com sean at sweetbourbon.com
Thu Feb 24 14:02:12 CET 2005

> > I'm running Mailman 2.1.5 and postfix 2.0.15.  I noticed some strange
> > bounce addresses in the mail logs:
> > list_name_bounces+435fdd33f52d0f2ebeaafbb611ce73add36eaa3d at tld
> > Is this how probe messages sent the reply-to/from header to?
>
> kind of,
> listname-bounces+[code]@[domain]
> is the VERP return-path used...
> I.e. the Variable Envelope Return Path.
>
> This is the ''return path'' used on the ENVELOPE, i.e. the
>   address used in "MAIL FROM:" SMTP command.
> This is the address to which bounces are delivered...
>
> Hence, probes use such 'silly' Envelope FROM: addresses with
>   a ''random'' hex. code whatnot in the address to have a reliable
>   way of checking that address really does bounce.

Not sure if this is the place to mention this but the README.POSTFIX file
should be updated since the probe messages depend on this feature as well:

    In order to support Mailman's optional VERP delivery, you will
    want to disable luser_relay (the default) and you will want to set
    recipient_delimiter for extended address semantics.  You should
    comment out any luser_relay value in your main.cf and just go with
    the defaults.  Also, add this to your main.cf file:

        recipient_delimiter = +

VERP was not enabled in my installation so I paid no attention to this
guideline.

Sean