[Mailman-Users] searching private archives

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Feb 23 10:24:25 CET 2005

At 8:43 AM +0800 2005-02-23, Ted Targosz wrote:

>  Is this still the best, easiest solution?  I don't like patching mailman
>  since I'm using yum to maintain the system and I'll have to go back and
>  patch it every time i update ...

	If you want to be able to search private archives, the htdig
patch is the best thing I know of.

>  If so, do i only need to apply [ #444879 ] Archive indexer control to
>  improve indexing and   [ #444884 ] Integration of Mailman & htdig for
>  archive search since I'm running 2.1.5?

	That should do it.

>  Finally, is there any particular reason why a search box hasn't been
>  included in the archives for mailman by default?

	That's a good question.  The best answer that I can come up with
is that the Mailman developers have been focused on other areas, and
have apparently felt so far that anyone who wants to enable searching
on private archives is adequately served by the htdig patches.  I'm
not sure why those patches have not been incorporated into the
mainstream code base.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755