[Mailman-Users] Removing attachment

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Feb 22 23:05:29 CET 2005

Allen Watson wrote:

>It really would be so much better if there were a simple setting to
>reject ALL messages with attachments, as some other mailing list
>software provides. It can't be so difficult...
>

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:29:38 +0100, Guillaume Morin <gmorin at sysif.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to remove all attachments of the mails going to a specific
>> mailing list.
<snip>

Did you read the follow-ups to that thread at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-January/041697.html
and
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-January/041706.html

If you really want to "reject ALL messages with attachments" just put

multipart/alternative
text/plain

in pass_mime_types as mentioned in the first message referenced above.
Or you could put just

text/plain

in pass_mime_types and reject everything except single part plain text
messages.

It isn't difficult until you start considering the non-obvious cases of
signed messages, plain text messages forwarded as attachments, plain
text attachments, etc. and what you want to do in those cases.