[Mailman-Users] mailman + postfix

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Feb 18 19:26:48 CET 2005

In a flurry of recycled electrons, [Jardar Eggesb_ Abrahamsen] wrote:
> In /etc/postfix/main.cf I am supposed to add:
>
> owner_request_special = no
>
> because:
>
>     By default, Postfix treats -owner and -request addresses
>     specially.  Since we want Postfix to deliver such messages to
>     Mailman, you should turn off this option by adding this to your
>     main.cf file:
>
>         owner_request_special = no
>
> What kind of problems could I get if I do not add that line? I removed it,
> and I am not aware of any problems.

Checking the postfix code (postfix-20010228-pl05, yes I know it's old):

global/split-addr.c
/* DESCRIPTION
/*      split_addr() null-terminates \fIlocalpart\fR at the first
/*      occurrence of the \fIdelimiter\fR character found, and
/*      returns a pointer to the remainder.
/*
/*      Reserved addresses are not split: postmaster, mailer-daemon,
/*      double-bounce. Addresses that begin with owner-, or addresses
/*      that end in -request are not split when the owner_request_special
/*      parameter is set.

Suggests that 'yes' is correct, but....

local/alias.c
/*      When an alias exists for recipient \fIname\fR, and an alias
/*      exists for \fIowner-name\fR, the sender address is changed
/*      to \fIowner-name\fR, and the owner delivery attribute is
/*      set accordingly. This feature is disabled with
/*      "owner_request_special = no".

suggests that 'no' is correct.  I think I need to look at a newer
version of postfix.

z!