[Mailman-Users] Re: mail not being sent/received

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Feb 17 22:17:49 CET 2005

At 2:47 PM -0500 2005-02-17, jpsota at gmail.com wrote:

>  However, when I look at /var/log/mailog after after sending mail to
>  the list, I don't see anything at all added to the log. That is, it
>  seems like the mail isn't even ever getting to the smtp server.  I
>  also sent mail to a user on the server system directly, and nothing
>  showed up in the maillog.

	Then it sounds like there's a disconnect between Mailman and your MTA.

	Check the logs in /usr/local/mailman/logs/smtp and
/usr/local/mailman/logs/smtp-failure, and compare those against the
MTA logs.

>  I have port 25 forwarded to my server -- is this all I have to do?

	I'm not sure what you mean by "I have port 25 forwarded to my server".

	You may need to enable increased debugging on your MTA to see
what is going on.  If your MTA is not local, then you may need to use
network sniffing software to watch all SMTP transactions, so that you
can see what is going on.

>  Again, I can send mail from the server, but nothing gets to the server.

	Sounds like a disconnect between your Mailman installation and the server.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755