[Mailman-Users] what gives?

sea23 at seasalt.org sea23 at seasalt.org
Thu Feb 17 13:34:24 CET 2005

John W. Baxter wrote:

>I subscribed a different address (by email, as is my habit when I have a
>list message handy).
>
>I confirmed a half hour ago...no spurious confirmations from other lists yet
>(if that changes, I'll let you know).  I have now unsubscribed.
>
>  --John

John,

The fact that at least 4 people from this list have already responded
that they too have gotten that same mailman confirm email from that
domain/list at about the time, as they recall, that they first
subscribed here and made their first post leaves no doubt at this point
that there is a connection. Again, I think they are simply identifying
first time posters to this list (and possibly other lists) and then
firing off a confirm email to them, probably in order to advertise their
site rather than to get anyone to join their mailing list.

But in any event, your test would not have worked since it is apparently
only when a new subscriber makes his first post, not when he subscribes,
that triggers the confirm email from them.

-s